Click Here to Return to the Main Site
Return to Main Site
To request a forum for your campaign, a map, or another site feature, click here.

Please Visit Our Sponsors, They Help Keep This Site Online

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Welcome! Read First! OOC 
Elf (2 hp)

Post Welcome! Read First! OOC
Join me in fleshing out this story and see where it goes! No silly posts please, nor changing what someone else wrote, by saying it was all just a dream. You can, within reason, subtly change the meaning of someone's post by having the character or outside influence interpret it a bit differently, but let's work together in a friendly manner to see how we can take another poster's 1-2 sentences added to the story, and take it in exciting and compelling ways!

So, in a nutshell, each poster adds 1-2 sentences (3 at the most if they aren't real long (and anyone who wants to can jump on board at any time for a single posting or as ongoing participant, it doesn't have to be just from the start, though I recommend reading several posts first to make sure your post makes sense).

While I don't want silly posts, we don't have to be terribly serious either, nor fuss over character motivations, worry about grids (though you can always post maps, pics, video links, whatever is relevant to the story).

At times, I will call for 10 post countdown, in which we will go 10 posts following the count down and then I will post a new Chapter Intro where the story takes a big turn. (I might do this if the story lags, goes in a direction none of us really want it to go in, by accident or just to shake things up). If someone else really wants to, and I haven't already made a new intro to post for an upcoming chapter, then I'll step aside and that person can do so. Chapter Intros should be short, but may be more than 2 sentences if needed to set the new scene. We'll try that out and see how we like it. Again, don't post here. on the game itself. This is just for determining interest.

This is a very easy game to play! :D

P.s. While my own posts will be assuming the story is set in the Cosmothea universe with some of its trappings, technology, magic, classes, etc. feel free if you are not familiar with that game or that universe, to just post however you want that seems appropriate to you and true to the story developed thus far.

When I mention something I think you might not recognize, I'll define it, but again, you don't have to know anything about Cosmothea nor even assume that this story takes place there if you don't want to. No big.

You can post any comments, questions or chatting here. Ready? Set? Go!

Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:34 am
Elf (2 hp)

Post Re: Welcome! Read First! OOC
Just a thought, Steve. Would you rather that neither of us has any clue on the direction of the story (I'm sure you have something in mind just as I did when I posted the intro) or would you rather we give each other some hints in the OOC of desired direction, like "I'd prefer she not turn out to be Ronald McDonald's sister or something (something I'm really pushing for. :lol: ) Anyway, let me know. Thanks. It might be helpful at times to share, and it should still be a bit of a mystery, I'd think, but yeah, we can do it cold or not. I'm easy. Part of the fun will be seeing what surprising direction the other takes the story in, but that doesn't mean that it all needs to be a surprise, especially the more we come to like what's going on in the story.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:04 pm
Site Administrator

I think as long as people stick to the guidelines and not be silly that it will turn out fine/ Part of the fun is seeing where it goes, and yeah we might have plans, but they have to be adjusted by what the other people post. If you want o post some vague directional ideas I don't that would harm things too much, but not too many details, I think that would ruin the fun.

Can't find what you're looking for here? Try our sister site: PbPMap

My name is Steve Squires. Husband, Father, Web Developer, Game Programmer, and I am a Mormon. www.mormon.org

Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:38 am
Elf (2 hp)

I don't feel the need to post my intentions - like you said, the mystery is part of the fun, I was just hoping I wasn't annoying you with some of my posts for the character you introduced (since I didn't know where you were hoping to take things with that character yet).

I like things the way they are, but was just offering a chance that players could give a hint if they were hoping for a basic direction (not specifics). No big. We can keep rolling then as we have been and so long as it never gets silly, "it's all good."

Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:00 pm
Site Administrator

Actually now that I think about it more, it might be good to trade ideas a bit. Just for general plot items. Otherwise the story could wander a bit aimlessly.

I was thinkling the scar on their head could be a surgery that was done to them to make them into augments. Jennifer's being telepathy and telekenesis and Cody's being teleportation and a minor ability to see vague visions of the future.

What do you think?

My name is Steve Squires. Husband, Father, Web Developer, Game Programmer, and I am a Mormon. www.mormon.org

Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:24 pm
Elf (2 hp)

Gicker wrote:
Actually now that I think about it more, it might be good to trade ideas a bit. Just for general plot items. Otherwise the story could wander a bit aimlessly.

I agree. I'm thinking this game is going to go for a long time, which could be daunting to some that come in later, so even posting a recap after each chapter would be helpful.

And there may well be a number of people posting at some point, so if we give them at least a hint of what we were developing, they might not be as apt to drag it into a whole new direction that defeats months worth of work that we put into it or at least they might understand it well enough to feel like wanting to take a stab at it.

Of course, it's their game too, I just figured knowing a bit of what we were thinking might help everyone get into it easier and also have an idea on what topic to post for maybe. The more I think about it, Steve, the more I'm liking the idea of a recap before we start up a new chapter!

Maybe we can even vote (if there needs a vote) on what the direction or time or location change will be that kicks off the new chapter.

Gicker wrote:
I was thinkling the scar on their head could be a surgery that was done to them to make them into augments. Jennifer's being telepathy and telekenesis and Cody's being teleportation and a minor ability to see vague visions of the future.

What do you think?

That sounds cool, Steve! If we make them at least a tad low level to start out, they could just keep getting better at those augment talents and learn how to do more with them in time. For example, Cody might be able to teleport, but if he doesn't teleport to a location within line of sight or that he's familiar with, it's not as reliable - like it might be off (not teleporting into rock), but shunting them in some random direction up to 20' away from where they want to go, until he gets better at it. Or something.

Same with Jennifer, she can just keep getting bigger and bigger things to move with telekinesis and extend the range of her telepathy farther and farther as time passes, but neither of them start off perfect to begin with.

What about the idea that the government was messing with trying to make augments and things got out of control. They were sloppy. A lab got compromized and their failed experiment got into the water supply, turning people into either a)zombies - the most common thing, or b)augments (much more rare, and out of those, many suffer memory loss or go nuts, but not these 2), and some have a resistance that hasn't yet been figured out.

So, the government wants to get back the augments to test them (ours were advanced cases - the few that were actually successful and they want to do more testing on us), and they also want to get a hold of some who have been exposed, but have some resistance, to find out why. But you can't tell those who were exposed and not affected from those who were not exposed, so it's a big mess. Sound good as the basics, or? And we can throw in other curve balls too, of course.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:32 pm
Site Administrator

I like the idea of having a failed augment serum get out and infect people turning them into zombies, though I don't think it should get as bad as the resident evil movies. I think at least 1/4 of the population should be resistant, or at least enough that it's not a complete apolocalypse.

The ideas about Cody and Jennifer's augments sounds good too.

And I agree about the recap as well, just to give things a bit of direction. I think those playing should discuss it a bit, but you as the GM should write it and make the final decisions.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:37 pm
Elf (2 hp)

Agree on all counts, Steve. Yeah, I don't really want this to be yet another post apocalyptic world, but the government should keep pretty busy trying to put a lid on it, and I'm thinking the augments running loose, each with their own ideas on life and their new power will be a nice blend of Resident Evil meets Heroes with our own special spice to make it fresh and original. This concept would fit fine within the framework of the Cosmothea universe, but there's a lot of room to play in that big universe and most governments are still trying to figure out how to make augments.

But as I said in the beginning, It's fine if someone posts something that's not part of the Cosmothea universe. I just use it because there's tons of information and fun stuff already made for the game and universe. We can stretch out creatively as much as we want and not worry about canon for this game.

I look forward to seeing where all this goes and what everyone posts on it. At least I hope in time we'll get others, though I'm enjoying posting with you, of course!

I'm getting busy just now, but I'll post next chance I get in the game.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:46 pm
Elf (2 hp)

I'm thinking Cody discovered he could teleport when he tried to get away from a secret government testing facility, not knowing what was happening and being afraid and disoriented after the surgery when left in a locked room at the facility that didn't tell him accurately what they were doing to him. They ran off to deal with a small outbreak of zombies at their facility and he was trapped in a room when one came at the glass, trying to get in. He was experimented on several days ago, maybe, before this thing got out of control and has tried to teleport on purpose several times since. He lost his cell phone back at the facility, has had no money and teleported out into the middle of nowhere and had to walk back into town, not aware he could teleport at first, then figured it out (he was disoriented at first, and one wouldn't likely believe they could really teleport, but probably assumed they were experiencing hallucinations or confusion, due to the drugs at first).

As for Jennifer, maybe she still doesn't know, only that something didn't seem right - maybe she was a nurse working at the facility, suspecting that something was wrong and maybe even being covered up. She was at a different testing facility than Cody, though they were dating.

She tried to contact him after she'd been exposed to the substance when some zombie attacked her. She closed her eyes and something hard slammed into the zombie, stopping it long enough for her to get away, but she never realized that it was her telekinesis at work. She tried to call Cody, but the phone wouldn't work, yet he "sensed in his head that she was in trouble." So, he came looking for her. In her confusion, trying to get away from the zombies, she fled the facility, which is on a bay. She was chased, got into one of the company's boats and took off. He caught up with her via teleporation, but her memory's been slipping, due to the side effect, which does not affect everyone the same. Thoughts?

Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:06 pm
Site Administrator

Sounds good! :)

Looking forward to playing this out. Hopefully another person or two will sign on, it is a lot more fun than I would have thought.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:34 pm
Elf (2 hp)

Gicker wrote:
Sounds good! :)

Looking forward to playing this out. Hopefully another person or two will sign on, it is a lot more fun than I would have thought.

Yeah, I don't think people realize that it could be fun. I don't think it's a new concept either. Well, I did it about 2 years ago on the QT Games site - twice actually, but neither panned out.

I don't recall when I thought of it, but I know I've heard of people doing some kind of interactive story many times before, so maybe it's an old concept. I think the idea of having chapters and chapter intros was mine, but that's no big, and yeah, the overall concept is probably pretty old. But I tried to run it on the QT Games site recently, and couldn't get anyone to join it.

They are missing out. It is fun! The two I ran a couple years ago, also set in the Cosmothea universe, lasted only about a week each before I pulled the plug. The first one got silly really fast - no one took it seriously since there weren't dice rolls. And I didn't ask them to take it seriously, though I did myself. The second was just people being silly and breaking the No Silly posts rule, so I shut it down, which was a shame, because it was an exciting story too.

Obviously the more people we get, the more likely someone will post in a fashion that just doesn't suit the mood/feel/direction of the game, but hopefully we'll have a good run at it and tell a fun story!

Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:33 pm
Site Administrator

Yep, it sounds good. Maybe we will attract a person or two along the way, who knows.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:37 am
Elf (2 hp)

Steve, I'm thinking that Jennifer was a nurse at the secret augment testing facility and they were a very shady government contractor trying to build better soldiers for the military. And if their own military wouldn't buy their product, they'd sell it to a third world country. They are still in talks with other countries since whatever country they are in right now is starting to have second thoughts. They are even open to selling it as a military weapon, rather than their original intent of creating super soldiers.

She was exposed to the same thing that caused the zombies, but she seemed unaffected. A spattering of infected blood or something during a zombie attack in which she got out of harm's way, but was infected by the blood. They put her in a bed to monitor her, just in case. Then, after 8 hours and no sign of zombie-ism or augment powers, thought she might be a good candidate for determining what makes some people resistant, since they figured she was, having shown no augment signs and no zombie signs that they could tell (as some turn into zombies and some turn into augments like we agreed).

So they were going to pretend they were just looking out for her health and gave her something to help her sleep, then secretly experimented on her to see if her physiology had any answers that could help them find a cure to the zombie situation. It didn't. The thing is, at that time, the zombies hadn't become public knowledge yet and the facilities doing the experiments were trying to keep it under wraps. She was planning to go to the police and they discovered this. There was this formula they use, but for some, they also have a second treatment. Cody had it too if you mentioned stitches on his head, I forget). If not, then he didn't.

They make an incision in the scalp and then make just a very slight alteration to one's brain to stimulate the augmentation - to help kickstart it. They did this with her, but she'd already been infected. In some that's all it takes. In others, they need the brain to be stimulated with a fairly unobtrusive, though still dangerous surgery. Sometimes the people are resistant and they just aren't affected by either zombie-ism or augment.

So she was actually already an augment before they stimulated her brain. Not sure what we should have this mean, but it could mean they souped her up or merely that the surgery didn't accomplish anything since she was already gaining powers.

Then some zombies got loose again and this time one got to her and that's when she closed her eyes and accidentally used telekinesis and eventually escaped, getting to the bay and a company ship. They'd be looking for her. And Cody too now. It's also unknown whether someone could possibly become a zombie augment, turning into one first and then the other, like if they had an unusual blood type or some other preexisting condition. Anyway, these ideas help answer why she was both a nurse and a patient. Also, later she accidentally used her telepathy to contact Cody, maybe to warn him, but it was too late, he had come out of the surgery. Why he became operated on, I'm not sure yet. Thoughts?

Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:21 am
Elf (2 hp)

This PbP misses you, Gicker!

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:00 pm
Site Administrator

Haha sorry just a bit bogged down. Will post tonight :) Thanks for the reminder!

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:57 pm
Elf (2 hp)

Hey, we all get busy. No big, but I'll look forward to your post!

Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:51 pm
Elf (2 hp)

Gicker - are you still planning to play in this Play-by-Post game? Are you too busy? Should we shut it down for now or?

Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:12 pm
Site Administrator

Hey, no I just keep getting sidetracked. Don't shut it down unless you want the time for another PbP or something. I am still interested in it. I will post right now actually. Cheers!

Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:18 pm
Elf (2 hp)

Thanks for your comments, Gicker. No, I wasn't hoping to shut it down to start another. If you or others stopped wanting to play it, I'd probably start another Interactive Story PbP though. I am glad you still want to play. Just checking in since you hadn't posted in awhile. Going to post now. :D

Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:33 am
Elf (2 hp)

Steve,
Are you still playing in my other PbP game?

Having fun playing with you in this one. Have a great week!

Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next