Click Here to Return to the Main Site
Return to Main Site
To request a forum for your campaign, a map, or another site feature, click here.

Please Visit Our Sponsors, They Help Keep This Site Online

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Chapter One [IC] 
Elf (2 hp)

Post Chapter One [IC]
Chapter One

Jennifer Baisley woke up at the wheel of her Stanford hoverboat at precisely 7am, in the middle of the Sheeva Bay with no memory of how she got there, or where she'd been heading.

For a moment, she had but to concern herself with correcting the hoverboat, for it had been aimlessly plowing through or rather just over the waves and was now heading straight toward a fully-loaded ferry, with wide-eyed passengers staring and pointing and shouting. She whipped the wheel about frantically. "What the heck is going on, and why can't I remember a damn thing?" She said under her breath, shutting the engines down after she was clear, so she could catch her breath and think.
Attachment:
file.jpg
file.jpg [ 9.51 KiB | Viewed 1498 times ]

Embarrassed, Jennifer avoided eye contact with the occupants of the ferry as she sat there shivering, until she heard a blood-curdling scream. She quickly realized that she had completely misinterpreted their earlier response; they weren't yelling to get her attention due to the collision course, but were crying out for help! Some of the occupants on board the ferry were running and others were moving sluggishly, clumsily along, like out of some B rated monster flick. “Ah crap! Please. Please. Please tell me those aren’t what I think they are!”
Attachment:
ferry-01.jpg
ferry-01.jpg [ 105.54 KiB | Viewed 1495 times ]

Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:40 am
Site Administrator

Post Re: Chapter One [IC]
Suddenly the door to the hoverboat cabin swung open. A handsome, young man with blonde hair and a thing goatee stood there, his eyes clearly filled with concern. She did not recognize him at all.

"Jennifer! Thank Yahweh! What is going on! We have to get out of here. Turn the boat around!", said the strapping young man.

Can't find what you're looking for here? Try our sister site: PbPMap

My name is Steve Squires. Husband, Father, Web Developer, Game Programmer, and I am a Mormon. www.mormon.org

Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:16 pm
Elf (2 hp)

Startled, Jennifer stumbled backwards, gripped by fear, half expecting him to be a zombie, as crazy as that sounds. But the world was upside down, and running on instinct and adrenaline, she removed the flare gun from its mount, and with shaky hands, aimed it in the man's general direction, shouting, "Don't ... move!"

Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:42 pm
Site Administrator

The man stumbles back a step as Jennifer points the flare gun at him, and says in a haltering voice, "Je-Jenn... what are you doing? It's me, Cody. Your boyfriend? Put that thing down, we need to get out of here, that cruise ship is being attacked by some kind of monster, or zombies or something."

Suddenly a loud explosion sounds off from the direction of the cruise ship, and peering out the window Jennifer sees a ball of fire rise into the sky just off the main deck, around the middle of the cruise liner. Loud creaking and groaning ensures, and the screaming intensifies.

My name is Steve Squires. Husband, Father, Web Developer, Game Programmer, and I am a Mormon. www.mormon.org

Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:03 pm
Elf (2 hp)

"Cody." She said, noncommittally, beginning to feel feint, and yet unhinged at how familiar he seemed to be with her, yet she had no memory of him. Her head hurt, making her wonder if she'd gotten a concussion, but when she'd absently massaged the back of her head, she felt the stitches and screamed, crumpling to the deck in tears.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:23 pm
Site Administrator

Waiting no longer, and seeing that Jennifer had lowered the flare gun, Cody entered the cabin, and fired up the hoverboat's engines. Jennifer slumped down in the sofa-bench and began to cry.

"What did they do to me?", she sobbed.

Cody looked grim and fingered the back of his skull as well. "I'll explain everything once we're safe", he says.

As they sped away on the hoverboat another explosion sounded off at the cruise boat, and the huge vessel suddenly began to split in two near the centre, both sides headed for the depths of the water below.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:32 am
Elf (2 hp)

The trauma and exhaustion of the past 36 hours weighed heavily upon Jennifer. Inside the claustrophobic cabin, she lay curled up on the bench, crying and confused until she passed out.

She woke up many hours later as the sun was setting; her hands occasionally touching the back of her head as if hoping she'd been mistaken, but the long row of stitches were still there.

Gads, it's hard to keep to 2 sentences (the purpose of which is to keep someone from telling too much of the story, thus allowing it to flow freely with many hands in the pie). The other temptation though is to use run-on sentences, which doesn't help either. So, more than 2 is OK sometimes, but let's try to not tell too much, nor be too long.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:42 pm
Site Administrator

Jennifer looked out the window and saw they were many miles down the coast now. The hoverboat was on autopilot with a blinking message on the screen, "Port Garvis -- 2 Hours, 21 Minutes, 34 seconds to arrival".

Oops, forgot about that. Will stick to the 2 sentences from here on out.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:45 pm
Elf (2 hp)

No big, as I said, Gicker. My own last post was 3 sentences. But we want to shoot for 2 or less so as not to control too much of the story, even though we both no doubt have ideas on where to take it. It's a challenge to resist, but fun too!

Jennifer's eyes snapped open, her mind racing through scenario after scenario of what might have happened, none of which adequately explained her current predicament or who this Cody was.

It was quite as she stepped out onto the deck to get some answers, but Cody was in a corner of the boat sleeping.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:41 pm
Site Administrator

As she sat on the deck, staring out to sea, and wondering what in blazes was happening, a fog horn sounded.

Turning her head around to view she saw a large coast guard vessel approaching, and a megaphone sounded, "Kor-Fanel Coast Guard. Turn off your engines and bring the boat to port for boarding please."

Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:47 pm
Elf (2 hp)

Cody awoke in a flash, his hand tightening around the flare gun he hadn't realized he was holding, then set it down, hearing the command. A wave of relief came over him, knowing that the zombies - or whatever they were - couldn't talk, and therefore the approaching vessel wasn't a threat.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:59 pm
Site Administrator

Jennifer quickly complied bringing the boat up to dock beside the large coast guard vessel. She hoped that finally she could get some answers as to what was going on, and had a healthy respect for authority, as her father was a police officer before he died in the line of duty.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:42 am
Elf (2 hp)

Cody sighed in relief, and smiled, saying, "Thank God. Everything's going to be fine, Jennifer."

As they were brought on board, they could see a well-armed squad standing by - more than was typical for such a vessel, and behind them, in a large, hastily-built cage on the deck, were nearly a dozen zombies, safely behind bars.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:49 pm
Site Administrator

"I was right", thought Jennifer to herself, and then sunk slightly more into despair as the coast guard crew took her on board.

"You two alright?, says one of the seamen, "You look like you've been through hell. Though given what's going on, I can understand that."

Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:42 am
Elf (2 hp)

"I'll let you know when I wake up and see that it's all been just a bad dream," Jennifer said, not taking her eyes off the zombies.

"Oh, I'll need to take statements from you both," The captain said, ushering them onto the bridge, adding, "do either of you require medical attention?"

Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:17 am
Site Administrator

Cody trades a glance with Jennifer, then sees the zombies penned up in the cage, and says, "Er... no, I think we're fine".

"I don't want to end up a lab rat, given what they did to us", says Cody.

Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:12 pm
Elf (2 hp)

Jennifer wasn't ready to make any statements quite yet, as she was still seeking answers herself. "We haven't slept much and won't provide a very accurate statement in our current condition - mine at least. Is there a place we can snag some rest, and then we'll be happy to fill out whatever paperwork you have for us," She said, wanting to get Cody alone so she could pump him for information.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:29 am
Site Administrator

"Alright, we'll give you some time to rest. Two hours, then we want a statement. Things are going to hell real quick. You'll be locked up, for our own protection. ", says the captain.

Cody simply nods and one of the seamen lead the pair down into the cabins in the decks below.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:11 pm
Elf (2 hp)

Jennifer didn't like the idea of being locked up one bit, even if it was for her own safety, but if even one of those zombies got free, she figured a locked room was safest, if those things were as stupid as portrayed in movies.

Once inside, and out of earshot, she turned to Cody and said, "Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't remember you from Adam so I'd appreciate if you tell me what the heck's going on around here!"

Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:39 pm
Site Administrator

"Fair enough", says Cody, "And I'll do my best"

"Does the name, 'Project Rampart' ring any bells?", he asks.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next