Click Here to Return to the Main Site
Return to Main Site
To request a forum for your campaign, a map, or another site feature, click here.

Please Visit Our Sponsors, They Help Keep This Site Online

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 2 - Facing a Giant 
Site Administrator

Post 2 - Facing a Giant
The adventure continues here

Your group makes its way back to the guard house, which you find empty, save for your squire. You send him off to fetch the Captain, and shortly thereafter he arrives, alone, and looking angry.

"Alright then", he says, "Report what you've found."

He looks at Granger with contempt and suspicion, but says nothing thus far.

Can't find what you're looking for here? Try our sister site: PbPMap

My name is Steve Squires. Husband, Father, Web Developer, Game Programmer, and I am a Mormon. www.mormon.org

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:42 pm
Halfling (1 hp)

Post Re: 2 - Facing a Giant
Are the two prisoners with us then?

Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:12 pm
Site Administrator

Ganny wrote:
Are the two prisoners with us then?

If you wanted to bring them with you, then yes they are.

My name is Steve Squires. Husband, Father, Web Developer, Game Programmer, and I am a Mormon. www.mormon.org

Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:47 pm
Halfling (1 hp)

Aye, probably for the best...don't want to leave them in the prison. Who knows what they will start shouting to get folks riled up.

"Bad news, and worse news." Michael grimaces. "The bad news is we looked at the ship. Granger and the Sun Elf were extremely lucky, the thing looks like a stiff wind would cause it to capsize. The people performing the salvage on it completely stripped it bare, so we don't have a chart to Evermeet unless we have a rather extensive chat with the Harbormaster and those under him."

"The worse news is that, after chatting with Granger and taking him down to the ship to take a closer look, we were ambushed by a group of 15. Two spellcasters, a cleric and a wizard, I believe, and 13 soldiers. We captured two of the soldiers, and recovered the cleric's holy symbol which supports Granger's testimony, in that Bane is the moving force behind Evermeet's destruction. We have yet to question the soldiers."

"Sir, after we have finished questioning the captives I would like special permission to report the information we have learned thus far as well as a sample of the weaponry we obtained to the Church of the Red Knight. If anyone can put together a strategy that would be a match for Bane, it would be the Grandmaster."

Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:14 pm
Site Administrator

"The priests of Oghma and Gond might be able to give some inputs on the weaponry as well," adds Yang. "They have some pretty smart guys there - well-versed in invention and machinery."

Then, looking at the captain, he also adds, "And Granger here fought by our side, taking down his share of the enemy. Though he did admit that they likely came here for him - but he has demonstrated no hesitation in putting them down."

Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:00 am
Gnome (1 hp)

Zephyra remains silent at the back of the group, preferring to observe the proceeds and ongoing conversation.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:59 pm
Site Administrator

The commander looks distressed as you speak to him, and responds, "I will work with the Harbourmaster if we need charts to Evermeet. This group that attacked you, I need you to fill out a report about it. We'll have to examine how they got into the city. I spoke to the Blackstaff. He said he is aware of the situation, nothing more, and that he will handle it. But hells be damned... I'm not going to sit by and neither are you if any of this is true."

He begins to pace the room as he speaks, looking animated as he speaks, "This is what we're going to do. First, you can speak to your churches, just be discreet. No details. Show them the weapons, let them investigate and tinker with them. See if they can find any way to defend against them. Leave the captives here for questioning. Your team is going to Evermeet. I want my own eyes and ears to confirm if this is true. We'll send a ship, a small fast one, one of our pirate hunters maybe. I have one in mind that should be able to outrun any ship it comes across. Ole legendary Captain Deudermont tactics. Go to Evermeet, search the island for survivors, and come back and tell me what you find. And do as much damage as you possibly can to the enemy without compromising yourselves if all this turns out to be true. The guards' resources, as meager as they are, are at your disposal. Questions?"

Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:35 pm
Halfling (1 hp)

"Understood sir." Michael pauses before continuing. "It shouldn't be hard to find out how they got into the city, however. If you would like, we could perform the questioning here."

Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:33 pm
Site Administrator

"No, Michael, we have people who specialize in that, as you know. You are our task force. I will have the ship's crew prepare tonight. Tomorrow morning you leave, so make your own preparations and get some rest if you can.", says the Commander.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:46 pm
Halfling (1 hp)

The people who specialize in questioning...they aren't torturer's, are they?

Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:34 am
Site Administrator

I'm thinking they'd be clerics, or inquisitors.

Yang nods as the commander gives his orders and outlines the approach when he comes to their mission on Evermeet, the monk speaks up, "Granger mentioned that the enemy was intending to set up a portal, in order to transport troops. Is there anything that we have at our disposal that might be able to thwart that?"

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:06 am
Gnome (1 hp)

A slight curl of a smile appears on the sylph's lips when the Commander tells them they are to go and explore the fabled islands of Evermeet. She had heard the tales like all people of Faerun, and was intrigued to know the place the elves had kept secret for so long.

She turns to Granger and says, "I trust you have been given the ammunition from the captured guns," the term gun still sounding odd on her tongue. "Sir, speaking of ammunition, before we go, could we gain access to the military armoury to buy supplies that we might need for our trip?"* she asks the Commander.

*Let me know if OK to buy more arrows etc from the armoury.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:58 am
Gnome (1 hp)

A wide grin springs to Nathaniel's lips.

"Excellent... we're BOUND to find someone who knows how to graft guns to my arms if we go to Evermeet!"

In response to the odd looks, he quickly adds "Oh and we will hinder the empire to save the people of our home. That too."

Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:56 am
Site Administrator

The commander responds, "Hmm a portal. That is not good... yes we will need to destroy it somehow. See what they have in the armoury that could work. And yes you can comission some arrows as well."

Granger speaks up at this point, "If I may. The black powder used to fire our weapons is highly explosive. They will have plenty of it at Evermeet. We can simply procure some, set it up around the portal, and cause it to explode. Well perhaps not so simply, but that seems to be the only way I can see to destroy it. Set up a few barrels near each side of the base, and let fly a burning arrow or shot from my musket, though I dare say your bow likely has better range."

Yes the questioners are clerics and wizards. I won't say that they won't make the person feel uncomfortable, but they won't resort to full on torture.

Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:07 pm
Site Administrator

"Let's see what the priests of Gond have to say," adds Yang. "Perhaps they can make some of this black powder too, then we don't need to 'procure' any, thus making our mission easier."

Staring down at one of the captured weapons, he adds, "And maybe there's some other way to increase the likelihood of these... machines to malfunction."

Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:22 am
Halfling (1 hp)

"You might want to mention at looking at Eastern Pyrotechnics, Yang." Michael's brow furrows. "The smell of the powder reminds me of them...possibly there could be a correlation." Michael turns to the captain. "If that's all sir, I will take the prisoners to the solitary cells and notify the interrogators. Granger, if you could come with me, your experiences with the opposing army will provide valuable insight to the Red Knights in forming a strategy."

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:02 pm
Gnome (1 hp)

Zephyra nods her head with a grin at Granger's suggestion of a burning arrow.

"Then let's go," she suggests to the group. She didnt mind if they visited the temple of Gond first or the Red Knights first. She simply understood time was of an essence.

Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:31 pm
Site Administrator

The commander nods and dismisses you, saying only, "Good luck and Godspeed... Make you plans and have them scribed for me. We will communicate one last time at the dockyards tomorrow morning before you leave.

Who is going where? Granger and Michael to Red Knights and everyone else to Gond? Or are you splitting up at all? Since this is legwork type of stuff, I don't mind splitting up, but out in the field, please do your best to avoid this, as running two parties is the same as running two PbPs essentially, and I just don't have the time for that.

Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:53 pm
Gnome (1 hp)

Nathaniel steps forwards and shakes his head. "If no one objects, I am going to inspect the town walls. Somehow over 15 men infiltrated this town without discovery or difficulty, and I would like to find out how, and make sure that none of our fellows were killed in the process. I should arrive back at Gond by the time you are leaving. Good luck."

Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:38 am
Site Administrator

I think for simplicity we can go to the places together one after another. I'm assuming that the priests of the Red Knight and Gond are fairly close to each other (since there should be some kind of religious district). You can just summarize what we find out anyway without having to interact with them first-person like.

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next