Click Here to Return to the Main Site
Return to Main Site
To request a forum for your campaign, a map, or another site feature, click here.

Please Visit Our Sponsors, They Help Keep This Site Online

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 A Few Notes About Character Concepts 
Site Administrator

Post A Few Notes About Character Concepts
Hey guys,

Just a few things I wanted to share about my expectations and comfort levels as a GM regarding character personalities.

It actually just comes down to three main things:

1) No evil characters
2) No lone wolves
3) No excessive in-party conflict

1) No evil characters
Evil role play can be, to me, both disturbing and disruptive to the party's goals during the campaign. For these reasons I do not allow it. You don't have to be the stereotypical hero, but not evil.

2) No lone wolves
A lone wolf is someone who consistently goes against the party's plans or wants to go off on their own. This makes my job as a GM much more difficult and can cause ooc friction.

3) No excessive in-party conflict
I know some people (for some reason) enjoy to role play out conflict, and arguing and insulting, and being hostile to other people. I can't stand it. Conflict has it's place in a story, good guys versus bad guys, and even a little rivalry here and there within a party. But outright nastiness is something I don't want to see on anything near a consistent basis. If you are going to have a rivalry with another player, or role play some drawn out conflict with another character, first make sure they are ok with it out of character, and second keep it within the realm of both taste and such that it won't cause discomfort for people reading it.

I guess the last thing to mention is to keep swearing, vulgarity, and excessive sexual inneuendo to a minimum during the campaign.

Thanks guys,

Gicker

Can't find what you're looking for here? Try our sister site: PbPMap

My name is Steve Squires. Husband, Father, Web Developer, Game Programmer, and I am a Mormon. www.mormon.org

Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:24 pm
Gnome (1 hp)

Post Re: A Few Notes About Character Concepts
I can definitely understand all those guidelines and shouldn't have any problem keeping to them, though i'll admit I am trying to find a game where I can play a LE Necromancer :)

Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:27 pm
Halfling (1 hp)

I updated my character sheet to represent a more Forgotten Realms Deity.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:13 am
Halfling (1 hp)

Maybe I misunderstood...when he said they removed the wounds from her abdomen, they meant healed her, right (The Elf, I mean)?

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:21 am
Site Administrator

What's what I understood too, but wasn't sure.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:24 am
Site Administrator

What is it you guys are wondering. Currently she is dead, but what I meant to say was that her wounds had been cleaned and dressed. A healer was not present. There is the option of raising her from the dead which may happen, depending on what is decided by Khelban Blackstaff and the Lords of Waterdeep.

My name is Steve Squires. Husband, Father, Web Developer, Game Programmer, and I am a Mormon. www.mormon.org

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:40 pm
Gnome (1 hp)

Sorry, didn't meant to be that rude :P i'm not usually a spelling nazi. Won't happen again.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:28 pm
Site Administrator

Yeah I didn't think you intended to be rude, but it rubbed me the wrong way. Corrections are fine, helps us learn, but the way a person goes about it determines whether the other person ends up feeling stupid or educated. That's how I see it anyway.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:16 pm
Halfling (1 hp)

Its alright. My brain slipped. Ah, if her wounds were cleaned and bandaged then I won't bother undressing them to take a look. Thanks for clearing that up.

And my last post was brought to you by the Boy Scouts of Waterdeep. Be Prepared!

Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:38 am
Halfling (1 hp)

Ah, what a way to start talking to the GM-NPC. Natural 1 on the Diplomacy Check. >.<;

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:01 am
Site Administrator

haha, yes, does pathfinder treat natural 1s as auto failure on skill checks? I wasn't sure. Either way for this encounter the roll is good enough for a neutral reaction. Would be good to know for the future though.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:03 am
Site Administrator

Also I am going to set up a combat map for us soon. Please post in your character threads a small 40 pixel by 40 pixel image of your character for me to upload to the map section. I've decided against allowing image uploads for the map, but in the next few days I will implement a favorites section for the map where you guys can link your icons to the map for easy access. For now, just attach it to a post in your character thread, and I'll upload them to the server so you can use them.

Cheers,

Gicker

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:05 am
Halfling (1 hp)

Gotcha. And a natural 1 never auto-fails, unless on an attack roll or a saving throw.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]